If you’re missing some or all of your teeth, your ability to chew, speak, and smile with confidence takes a big hit. Fortunately, with today’s dental technology, these challenges don’t need to be permanent. Dentures are a good option for many people who want an affordable way to restore missing teeth. At Evanson DDS, we can create a natural-looking dental appliance that fits your gums snugly and comfortably. You may decide to wear denture adhesive—or not, depending on your situation.
When to Use Denture Adhesive
The goal of wearing dentures is to mimic the look and functionality of your real teeth as closely as possible. Some people experience improved results from wearing denture adhesive. You should consider this option if you’re looking to achieve the following:
- Improve the stability and retention of your dentures to increase your confidence when you chew, cough, or sneeze.
- Counteract the effects of dry mouth, a relatively common condition that decreases denture adherence among older adults and those taking certain medications.
- Provide additional security for people who place a high demand on their facial muscles, including musicians and public speakers.
When Not to Use Denture Adhesive
Not everyone who wears dentures should use adhesive products. Ask Dr. Evanson for personalized advice before using denture adhesive if you experience any of the following:
- Uncomfortable, loose, or otherwise ill-fitting dentures.
- Difficulty keeping up with dental hygiene practices.
- The apparent need to use more and more adhesive over time, a sign that your dentures need to be adjusted or replaced.
- An allergic reaction to any of the adhesive’s ingredients.
Types of Denture Adhesive
You have two primary types of adhesive to choose from: paste and powder. Most people think of paste denture adhesive first, but actually, the powder form may be preferable because it doesn’t ooze and is easier to clean up at the end of the day. Powder is also less likely to “shim,” or pull the denture away from your gums.
How to Apply Denture Adhesive
If you and Dr. Evanson determine that denture adhesive is right for your situation, make sure you apply the product properly. Remember, adhesive works most effectively when paired with well-fitting dentures. For the best results, follow these tips:
- Clean your dentures thoroughly based on the directions Dr. Evanson gives you.
- Wet each denture slightly.
- When using paste adhesive, apply small dots or short strips of paste along the ridge area of the denture. Avoid placing adhesive close to the edge. If the paste oozes when you press the denture into place, wipe it away and remember to use less next time.
- When using powder adhesive, sprinkle a thin, even layer inside the denture where it will make contact with your gums. Shake off excess powder into the sink, and press the denture into place.
- Apply less adhesive than you think you need. If your dentures don’t feel secure, remove them and gradually add more adhesive until you feel comfortable.
- If necessary, remove your dentures and reapply the adhesive throughout the day.
Is Denture Adhesive Safe?
As long as you use your denture adhesive as directed, it’s completely safe. You should expect no adverse effects if the adhesive is only applied to provide added stability to well-fitting dentures. In rare cases, denture adhesive can cause soft tissue inflammation and bone loss, especially when used in excess to fill the voids left by ill-fitting dentures.
Learn More About Dentures at Evanson DDS
If you have any concerns about your dentures or the adhesive products available, please visit Evanson DDS in Parker. Our team is dedicated to helping you achieve the smile you desire so you can go about your day with confidence. Remember, dentures aren’t the only option for replacing missing teeth. We also offer dental bridges, tooth implants, and other solutions designed to meet your needs best.
To discuss your options at length, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Evanson. Simply call our Parker office at (720) 409-0008 or contact us online to start down the road to a beautiful, confident smile!Leave a reply →