Tis the season of gift-giving–time to give yourself a healthy smile! When shopping for just the right gift for everyone else, consider giving yourself the gift of a healthy mouth for the holidays. Most of us focus on what to give our family and friends during the holiday season, but don’t neglect to take care of yourself. Good oral health is a gift that will keep on giving for a lifetime of years to come! Now is the ideal time to reward yourself with a beautiful, radiant, and healthy smile.
A healthy mouth is important for so many reasons. To have a mouth that is free of disease and pain is invaluable, yet it is something you can’t purchase. Dedication and effort are the price you pay to enjoy the benefits of a healthy mouth.
Ways to Give Yourself the Gift of a Healthy Smile During the Holidays
- Holiday parties are usually replete with sugary treats. Look for healthier options such as veggie or cheese trays. Raw vegetables are nature’s gift that strengthen your tooth enamel and they are also good for your waistline, which is a bonus gift!
- Cheese and meat trays are a gift for those who want to strengthen their teeth! The calcium in cheese is good for your teeth and meat is a great source of protein, which can help your body fight tooth decay and will keep your teeth strong and healthy.
- Avoid crackers and chips. Starchy foods get trapped in your teeth and create the perfect storm that leads to plaque build-up.
- Fresh fruit can satisfy the craving for sweets, and it is a great alternative to all the cookies, and chocolates. The gift is that you get your sugar fix while keeping your mouth and teeth healthy.
- When it comes to beverages, water is the perfect drink! Water protects your teeth, and the biggest gift of all is that water has no calories!
- You can’t usually brush your teeth at a holiday party, so carry a package of sugarless gum in your pocket or purse. Chewing a piece of sugarless gum will help prevent tooth decay as it increases the production of saliva, which washes away food and other debris. It also counteracts acids produced by bacteria in the mouth. Chewing a piece of sugar-free gum is a gift that will also prevent you from eating excessive amounts of food.
- Stick to your normal routine of brushing twice a day and flossing at least once a day, in order to keep your mouth healthy. Hectic schedules filled with friends and family, school programs, office parties, and shopping can cause you to forget the importance of maintaining your oral health.
- The most important aspect of giving yourself the gift of a healthy smile is to schedule regular check-ups with Dr. Angela S. Evanson, DDS twice a year. Her top priority is helping children, teens and adults achieve and maintain a beautiful, healthy smile. Located at 17167 E. Cedar Gulch Parkway #202 in Parker, Colorado, her office also has convenient access to patients in the communities of Highlands Ranch, Aurora, Castle Rock and Lone Tree.
Amid all the hustle and bustle of shopping for just the right thing, consider giving yourself the gift of a healthy mouth for the holidays. Good oral health might be one of the best gifts you’ll ever receive! The gift of oral health is one that keeps on giving all year long and throughout your lifetime. Check one more thing off of your to-do list by calling our office at (720) 409-0008 to set up an appointment!